This just so happens to be one of my FAVORITE Christmas morning traditions. Orange rolls are my very favorite sweet roll, and they are the perfect breakfast treat for any special occasion!
There are also directions to makes delicious cinnamon rolls below 🙂
You will start out with The Delicious Dinner Roll Recipe. If you wish to use the full dough recipe you will need to double the ingredients for the orange rolls listed below. OR you can make 1 batch of orange rolls and 1 batch of cinnamon rolls. OR… you can make one batch of dinner rolls and 1 batch of sweet rolls. This recipe is directed for HALF the delicious dinner roll recipe. Make the roll dough just the same as directed in the Delicious Dinner Roll post. When the dough is close to finishing rising the “first time”, you will start the orange roll filling.
To make the filling combine:
1/2 cup sugar
6 Tablespoons melted butter
grated rind from one orange
Bring these ingredients to a boil and remove from the heat.
**Alternatively, if you wanted to make cinnamon rolls you would spread the dough with melted butter, then cover the dough with brown sugar, and sprinkle cinnamon on top (as much as you like).
Use a piece of thread or floss to cut the rolls. Slide the string flat under the dough to 1 1/2 inches (or desired thickness) from the end of the roll, cross the string over the dough and pull. VOILA! Repeat this step until all the rolls are cut.
1. Place each roll in a regular sized muffin tin
Bake the rolls at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes until they are golden brown.
In a small bowl combine:
2 cups powdered sugar
juice of one orange
To thicken: add more powdered sugar. To thin: add more juice or water.
**for glaze over cinnamon rolls, combine:
1/3 cup softened cream cheese
1/4 cup softened butter
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
a tiny pinch of salt
This recipe will make approximately 18 sweet rolls, if you would like 36 sweet rolls use the full roll dough recipe!
- ingredients you will need:
- 1 1/2 cups of milk
- 3/4 cup + 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons yeast
- 2 cups of warm water
- about 9-10 cups of all purpose flour
- at least 1 cup of butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 Tablespoons melted butter
- grated rind from one orange
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- juice of one orange
- Water, to thin
- On a floured counter roll the dough into one large rectangle about 1/4-1/2 inch thick.
- Bring the filling ingredients to a boil and remove from the heat.
- Pour the orange filling onto the dough.
- Spread the mixture evenly over the dough
- Roll the long edge of the dough, be careful not to pull the dough as you roll it. Gently lift and roll the dough.
- Use a piece of thread or floss to cut the rolls. Slide the string flat under the dough to 1 1/2 inches (or desired thickness) from the end of the roll, cross the string over the dough and pull. VOILA! Repeat this step until all the rolls are cut.
- You have two options for baking these rolls.
- 1. Place each roll in a regular sized muffin tin
- 2. Place the rolls on a cookie sheet about 1 1/2 inches apart. You will generally place 12 rolls on a sheet.
- Let the rolls raise until they are touching (if using a cookie sheet) or until they have risen well above the muffin tins.
- Bake the rolls at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes until they are golden brown.
- Allow the rolls to cool slightly while making the glaze.
- Mix glaze ingredients and pour over rolls
You can also use this dough recipe for Alison’s yummy Monkey Bread Recipe! Let the dough raise the “first time”, then divide into balls and follow the rest of Alison’s directions!
Mmmmm. I can’t wait for Christmas morning 🙂