How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of being and ideal grace.
I love thee to the level of every day’s
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for right.
I love thee purely, as they turn from praise.
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood’s faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints. I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life; and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.
Sonnet 43 by Elizabeth Barrett Browning
I’ll admit it, I expect a lot from my husband on Valentine’s Day. I want the card, candy, chocolate, and flowers. And if I don’t get it I am secretly disappointed. So this year I decided it was time to turn the tables and surprise my man with this bucket of love by giving him the VIP treatment–while not expecting anything in return.
Here are the items you will need for your romance in a bucket:
Love Potion #9
Why go to the store and buy massage oil when you can make it yourself with essential oils? Making massage oil is so simple and fun and you can choose your favorite ingredients. Massage therapy helps you relax and enhances your overall health and well-being. It can also help with back pain, insomnia, depression and PMS. Lavender oil is a perfect way of de-stressing and relaxing after a long hard day.
Lavender massage oil
4 t. carrier oil
4 drops of lavender essential oil
Each oil has its own list of benefits. Rose oil boosts self esteem, confidence, and can improve your mood. Lemon oil is energizing and uplifting. Patchouli oil is both calming and grounding.
Romance massage oil
2 tbsp. of carrier oil
4 drops of rose essential oil
6 drops of lemon essential oil
6 drops of patchouli oil
Massage Oil Tips
- Carrier oils are olive oil, avocado oil, grapeseed, coconut oil and soybean oil just to name a few.
- Store your massage oils in dark glass bottles and keep them in cool dark places.
- Never pour massage oil directly on your skin-pour a small amount into your palms and warm it.
- Use within 3 months
- Last but not least set aside time to give your lover a nice Valentine’s Day massage (Ooh La La).
You can make your own sweet treats or buy them. I got these cute mini treats from whole foods and I like that they are small and low in calories.
You need something to wash the dessert down and sparkling cider is a favorite in our family
Love letter or poem
This is nothing fancy but we cut a heart out and then my daughters and I wrote down 10 positive things we love about our favorite Dad. A homemade love letter or poem is also romantic. Edward Bordi recently wrote of the benefits of love letters in an article entitled 18 Love Letter Benefits. Here are just a few such benefits:
3. Recover happiness lost during the clutter of busy days, screaming kids, yelling bosses, traffic jams, spilled coffee or whatever the crazy episode of the day happened to be. All the worries of the day melt away when you know someone loves you no matter what!
11. Relieve stress by helping you to relax, laugh and maybe even cry happy tears. A love letter takes your mind off your troubles, if even just for a few moments.
16. Set a good example for all those around you who are watching you and your commitment to love. Your friends, relatives, neighbors and children are watching you. This is your chance to be a good role model. As it’s been well said,
… good character is caught, not taught.
Candles and Flowers
The best part about the Romance in a Bucket is it does not cost a lot of money and it’s not just for lovers, you can change the items and give it to a best friend, a child, parents, or someone who needs a pick me up.
The best part of all is giving it to your loved one.
What items will you be adding to your Romance in a Bucket to make it perfect for your Valentine?
What is your favorite homemade massage oil?
Happy Valentines Day!
Ashley was born and raised in Boise, Idaho and now lives in Henderson, Nevada. She studied in Germany and created a hand knit hat business in 1998–Mutze by Ashley (meaning hat in German). She is obsessed with her Husband, three daughters, fashion, coconut desserts, and garden gnomes.