It’s summer and that means it’s way too hot to heat up the oven for dinner! Enter: the grill. Yes, we love our BBQ and while regular BBQ grilling is always a win, why not try a twist on the traditional and make this amazing (and SIMPLE) sweet and spicy grilled chicken!
It has all the good stuff – sweetness, some spice, and that lovely char that comes from grilling. Pair this with some grilled veggies, rice, or ramen and you’ll have a meal fit for a king! And a queen. And the entire royal family. YUM!!!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast, or 8 boneless thighs
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp sriracha sauce
- 1/4 cup sweet thai chili sauce
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 lime (optional)
- 2 green onions (for garnish)
- Combine garlic, ginger, soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, sriracha sauce, chili sauce, and honey in a medium bowl. I doubled the recipe because I was cooking for a crowd!
- Fillet the chicken if you are using breasts – or, you can place them (one by one) in a large ziplock bag and pound them flat using a rolling pin or mallet. This makes them cook a little faster on the grill, which helps when grilling with a sweet sauce that can char.
- Place the chicken in a large glass casserole dish (or in a large ziplock bag) and pour 3/4 of the sauce over the top. Reserve 1/4 for brushing on the chicken at the end.
- Cover the chicken and refrigerate for 2-3 hours or up to 6 hours.
- When it’s time to grill the chicken, oil the grill and place the chicken breasts on the grill and cook on medium heat until they are cooked through. It’s takes around 15-20 minutes, being sure to flip them!
- When the chicken is nearly done cooking, brush the reserved sauce over them.
- Top with green onions and a squeeze of lime and serve!
This chicken is fantastic over rice, over ramen noodles, or served with steamed veggies. Yum!
Wanting more fabulous and unique recipes for the grill? Check out a few more of our favorites!