These Amazing Lemon Blueberry Bars come to you from my third trimester pregnancy cravings for all things Lemon! With only six or seven weeks left until my newest little one makes his great appearance, I am fully embracing all of my pregnancy cravings. If ever there was a time to indulge a little, this is it!
Luckily, most of my cravings haven’t been terribly unhealthy. Right now everything I eat revolves around Lemons. Fortunately, they are in season right now and big bags of the juicy citrus are still very easy to come by. I’m squeezing them into my water, mixing them into pasta sauces, and zesting them into all my salads, too. I am also, from time to time, making batches of these super yummy Lemon Blueberry Bars for an extra special citrus treat.
These moist, flavorful dessert bars whip up quickly and are a really delicious, unique crowd-pleaser. I love bar desserts like this because they are tasty like a cookie, but are much faster and simpler in the end.
To simplify it a little more, line your baking pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil and leave enough hanging over the edges to easily grab it and lift out the bars in one quick motion after they have cooled. This makes for a really easy clean-up job when you are done!
These are almost too easy, and certainly too delicious for this very pregnant kitchen addict to resist! I hope you enjoy them as much as my kids and I are enjoying them.
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 6 large eggs
- 3 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup blueberries, frozen or fresh
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a 9x13 baking pan with nonstick foil or parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine all of the crust ingredients and mix well. Press dough evenly over the bottom of the lined baking pan. Bake the crust for 15 to 20 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together all of the filling ingredients, except the blueberries, until smooth. Gently fold in the berries. Pour filling over the baked crust. Bake bars for 30 minutes or until the filling has set. Let cool in pan before removing bars. Dust lightly with powdered sugar if desired. Serve at room temperature. Makes approximately 20 bars.