Time to be candid – I need to begin this post with a WARNING! These are the most ridiculously delicious squares ever and are not recommended if you are on a diet – unless, of course, it’s cheat day 😉 And if you need to – tell yourself that these squares have good things like fruit (even if it’s in sugary jam), nuts (almonds count, right?), and dark chocolate (chips, that is.) Nothing like a little self-delusion to make everything okay 😉
Raspberry Almond Chocolate Chip Squares
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup butter (or hard margarine), softened
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 1/2 cup raspberry jam
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
1. Combine the flour and sugar in a large bowl.
2. Cut in the butter until crumbly
3. Add in the egg and the almond extract. Mix well. Ooh, the aroma of that almond extract makes me do the happy dance!
4. Set aside 1 cup of this mixture, and press the rest into a lightly greased 9X13 pan. Don’t worry, Johnny – this is only a trial separation. These two belong together and will be back with one another before you know it.
5. Spread the jam over the pressed dough. Ooooh yeah, baby!
6. We haven’t forgotten about the dough that was set aside. We have plans – BIG plans! Time to mix things up! Grab those yummy chocolate chips and sliced almonds and mix in with the reserved dough. It’s a big, super yummy, chocolatey-almondy-doughy party! Woot, woot!
7. Sprinkle this mixture over the jam layer in the pan. Be sure to get that goodness all over the top. Try not to eat handfuls of this stuff as you go. Seriously – I’m watching you.
8. Bake at 350°F for 30-35 minutes. Let cool completely (yes, I see you – over there – trying to sneak a taste. Remember, patience is a virtue!)
9. Slice into squares and enjoy! (And trust me, you will!)
Have mercy – I love these. Nutty, tangy, chocolatey, sweet – in every way AMAZING!
While you’re here and you’re mouth is already watering, you might also enjoy some of these desserts that have our HowDoesShe stamp of approval:
Nutella Cake Pops – Yes, please!
Last Minute Fudge – for those last minute chocolate cravings
Salted Caramel Shortbread. Enough said.