If you follow my posts at all, you’ll have learned a little something about me.
I have this weird thing where I eat a delicious something – at a restaurant, from a bakery, or from the store – and I become a little obsessed with recreating it at home. I mean, why bother when you can just drive to the place you had the original and enjoy it there?
For me, it comes down to three things. First – cost. It’s often a much cheaper way to enjoy a food I love to make it myself at home. This recipe is no exception. Second – convenience. Many places I have tried something delicious are not located nearby and it’s much more convenient to be able to make the recipe at home. Third – satisfaction. Is there anything better than learning something new? Especially when that something new is scrumdiddlyumptious?
Enter, these easy raspberry almond mini tarts:
A while back my daughter had an off day and her friends popped by with some goodies from a local bakery. One of those goodies were some little tarts with a dollop of raspberry jam on top and I just had to taste one. It was love at first bite.
I’m not usually a tart girl. It used to be that you could give me a cookie or doughnut over a tart any day and I’d be smiling. But now – I might just be a tart convert. You guys, I was dreaming of these things. I had to head to the bakery and buy some once (or twice). I just knew I had found a new challenge – figure out how to make these at home. And guess what? I did!!
And now, because I love to share – I’m sharing my easy recipe with you!!
Here is what you’ll need:
- About 2 dozen prepared mini tart shells (I buy the frozen ones from my supermarket – feel free to make your own, but then this wouldn’t be classified as an “easy” recipe – frozen taste great!)
- 1/2 cup raspberry jam (approximately – you may use a little more or less depending on how generous you are with it.)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt (can omit if using salted butter)
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cup almond flour, (or finely ground almonds)
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 Tbsp Milk
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and have two cookie sheets ready on the counter
- Arrange the frozen tart shells on the cookie sheets (12 on each), in their foil cups
- Using a spoon, spoon a heaping tsp of raspberry jam on the bottom of each tart shell
- Mix together the butter, sugar, flour, salt (if using), 1 tsp almond extract and 1 tsp vanilla extract until smooth.
- Add in the eggs to the butter mixture, beating after each addition.
- Add the almond flour to the butter mixture and stir just until combined. This completes the almond filling.
- Add the almond filling over the raspberry jam layer in each tart filling the shell about 3/4 of the way – the filling rises a tiny bit when cooking.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the filling is set.
- In a separate bowl, mix together a glaze by stirring together the icing sugar, milk, and 1/2 tsp almond extract
- Once the tarts have cooled, spoon about a half tsp of the glaze over each tart, and add a dollup of raspberry jam to the center of each tart.
- Let the glaze set up and enjoy!
You are going to love these
Tarts make the perfect take along for potluck meals – individual servings are the best! These freeze well, so make some, freeze them, and have them on hand for those last second visitors or dinner invites. I mean, if you can manage to not gobble them all up first. This recipe has the perfect balance of tartness and sweetness – a match made in happy mouth heaven! Try it out and let me know what you think!
You might also like these other delicious dessert ideas that also make a great take along for a potluck: