Iceland and Animal Jam. What do they have in common? They both promote and inspire the love of outdoors, diverse animal life, and learning more about nature. And…both are awesome!
I was lucky enough to recently visit Iceland as a guest of Visit Iceland and Animal Jam. My trip was amazing, and I was blown away by how incredible the country is. It’s full of beautiful and diverse landscapes, amazing animal life, and tons of different things to do. During all of this adventuring on my trip, I learned about a great website for my kids called Animal Jam. Have you heard of it?
Animal Jam is the world’s largest online social network for kids. Their passion is inspiring kids to learn about the natural world around them through interactive gameplay and offine activities that engender their curiosity about the science.
Interested in using Animal Jam to encourage your child to love science and adventure? Here are a few great things and tips Animal Jam offers:
- Animal Jam has an in-game Journey Book where kids find and collect cool facts about animals and environments in Jamaa (the world where everything in Animal Jam takes place). Help find fun critters in the Kimbara Outback or in the Coral Reef!
- Visit Brady Barr’s Lab or Tierney Thys’ Aquarium where you can watch videos of these scientists out in the field and even submit your own questions for them to answer in future videos.
- Want even more videos? Subscribe to Animal Jam’s YouTube channel to catch up on their Wild Explorers series featuring fun crafts, science experiments, and animal facts. Our favorite? Ten Facts about Goats!
- Extend the fun offline with Animal Jam Academy – a free resource center full of science based crafts and experiments. Set screen-time privileges as a reward for completing fun science activities!
So the big question is “How do you get your kids to be adventurous and have a love for nature?” Sounds fun, but sometimes this can be a challenge and a bit of a battle with your kids. They crave adventure and need it in their life.
Here are 3 ways to get your kids outside, love nature and best of all, be adventurous.
#1. As parents we need to get outside and show our kids how it is done. Kids will do what we do. Start when they are young. Parents need to teach kids how to be adventurous, see potential risks, and how to problem solve with dilemmas that arise.
#2. Make it fun. Who wants to go on a boring, non-adventurous outing? I know I wouldn’t. Have fun, and be creative. Get the whole family excited about the upcoming vacation, trip to the park, or hike up the mountains.
#3. Get out of your comfort zone, see new places, and try new things together. They will admire your willingness to try something that you have never done before. How about spelunking, backpacking, geocaching, canoeing/rafting, hiking to a swimming hole or hot spring, etc?
We would love to see your kids and the adventures they take. Be sure to show us at #AdventureStartsWithMe hashtag. We don’t want to miss those fun and awesome outdoor pictures.
Let me switch gears a bit and get back to Iceland. I bet for most of you, Iceland may not be on your top travel destinations lists, but let me personally tell you that it most definitely should be! It is a great place for ALL to visit, whether you going with kids or not. It would be the perfect place to have grand adventures and see what amazing things nature has to offer. If this is the stuff you love, Iceland is absolutely for you!
Also, Check out the Top 9 Things to do in Iceland.
You will fall in love with this country. It really is magical!! Don’t forget to #AdventureStartsWithMe hashtag on all of your awesome pictures.
Enter to WIN an Iclandic Adventure!
One lucky winner can win:
Enter To Win! One lucky winner can win:
- 2 Round Trip Tickets From WOW Air
- A Gregory Backpack For Your Adventures
- $2000 From Animal Jam to use towards your accommodations and other travel expenses.