I 100% full heartedly believe that your closet is what you make of it. Fashion is one thing, but personal style is another – something that’s completely up to you and your creativity. One of my favorite things has been mixing and matching items and bringing the unexpected into what I wear daily. Sometimes it works, and hey – sometimes it doesn’t. But pairing unexpected items together is a great way to bring new life to a wardrobe and branch out a little in the creative department. Here’s a few ideas for how I’ve brought unexpected items together in the past!
1. Stripes and plaid – my husband’s eyes nearly crossed when I walked out the door wearing this. But I’m still convinced it works. My reasoning lies in the gray socks paired with the gray sweater. Just go with it.
2. A vintage grandma button up that you otherwise wouldn’t be caught dead in … can actually be made to look kind of chic when paired with all black!
3. Duck boots. One of my favorite shoes in the whole world. They’re a surprisingly versatile staple for the winter months! Get yours at a local Goodwill near you!
4. Pearls and jeans. Two classics in their own right. Possibly EVEN better paired together?
5. Color block your heart out. This look is not for everyone – but the technique is definitely an unexpected way to bring a real punch to your look.
6. Wear ridiculously bright colored tights. It might help to pair it with neutrals. Or you could use it with one of your color-blocked looks!
7. Find your husband’s old abandoned sweater in the back of his closet, belt it and call yourself cozy.
8. Embrace your inner 90’s and make that “ugly holiday sweater” work for you. If you can do that my friend – you are master Jedi of your own closet.
So anybody got any wild ideas of how to bring something unexpected in your own day-to-day wear? Spill!!
P.S. Baby is here! Meet our little Everett Stone 🙂