Start the new year off on the right foot with this amazing, colorful, and healthy mango quinoa salad! You can make this at the start of the week and have it for lunch, or serve as a delicious side with your favorite meal.
Isn’t this a feast for the eyes? Your tastebuds will be equally dazzled, I promise.
- It’s nutritious! Rich in fiber, minerals, antioxidants and all nine essential amino acids, quinoa is one of the healthiest and most nutritious foods on the planet! It’s like a super food! It also has a low glycemic index so yay for blood sugar control!
- It’s Gluten-Free! If you or a loved one have a gluten intolerance, quinoa is naturally gluten-free and is a great substitute for grains in many recipes.
- It’s high in protein! I mentioned, above, that quinoa contains all nine essential amino acids which makes quinoa a complete protein. So, if you’re looking for a boost in your protein without the fat or mega calories, quinoa is your BFF!
- It’s very high in antioxidants! Yay for a food that helps fight the signs of aging and helps fight off disease!
- It’s easy to incorporate! With a great taste and easy to store nature, quinoa is a great food to incorporate into breakfast, lunch, and dinner!
Now that we have established that quinoa is our new BFF, let’s get to work assembling this amazing salad, shall we?
Gather the Ingredients:
- 1 Cup Quinoa, rinsed well
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 14oz can black beans, drained and rinsed well
- large mango, peeled and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 6 green onions, sliced
- 1 handful cilantro, chopped
- 4 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 Tbsp sugar or honey
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Pour the quinoa and chicken broth into a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed and the quinoa is cooked. You can tell it’s cooked when it becomes more transparent and the tell tale curly cue germ has separated.
- Store the quinoa in the fridge to cool for at least one hour.
- Whisk together the vinegar, olive oil, lime juice, and sugar until well combined. Set it aside.
- Combine remaining salad ingredients in a large bowl and toss with the dressing.
Doesn’t this make your mouth water?
Variations You Can Make:
- Don’t like cilantro? You aren’t alone. You can substitute with parsley!
- If you don’t have red wine vinegar, try using balsamic vinaigrette!
- You can substitute stevia for the sugar if you’re trying to cut back
- grape tomatoes
- cooked, diced chicken
I hope you love this salad as much as my family and I do! It’s always a hit at potlucks and lasts well in the fridge for a few days – so make it ahead and use it throughout the week. Enjoy!
For more amazing salads you’ll love for lunch, dinner, or a snack, check out a few more of our favorites: