Do you recall my Dressing the Bump Part 1 Post where I shared with you the difference between feeling frumpy and feeling sexy while pregnant with visuals of me wearing both scenarios? YES, it IS possible to feel sexy during your pregnancy… but YES it does take just a little effort… but only a little I promise.
Let’s be honest is there a time during pregnancy that is easy to dress your baby bump?
There is the early stage where you are mistaken for having had one too many girl scout cookies (even if you are like me and really do). Then, you finally are showing but not ready to give in to purchasing maternity clothes so, you continue squeezing into your old wardrobe using rubber bands, belly bands, and any other trick you can think of. Finally, you give up and comfort overrides anything else. You know you are there when you begin pumping your arm while you walk and you need a hand to get up out of bed!
That is where I am right now.
But I am not about to let that slow me down and resort to staying in my sweats all day (at least not every day). I’m going to share with you what has helped me through this very large and uncomfortable stage.
My top 5 favorite third trimester tricks are:
Accessorize. it makes me feel like I haven’t given up completely yet.
Wear black. Especially on those chubby feeling days.
Curl your hair. I don’t know why this one- but mostly because I don’t do it that often normally.
Wear a fitting jacket. It doesn’t matter if it doesn’t button up. This jean jacket in the above photo is the gift that keeps on giving. It was my first purchase from my favorite store when I was in middle school (no joke) and I keep it around because I can still pair it with anything! Notice- I am not even close to zipping up that baby.
It may seem like a lot of effort while pregnant- but on the contrary, I pretty much just rotate the same skirts and shirts and keep it simple. A SMALL effort can make a HUGE difference. You know how I know? The days that I actually make an effort as small as it may be- I feel a million times better- maybe even slightly less pregnant – if that is possible. I am happier and find myself enjoying the swollen feet and back pain pregnancy brings.
I know I can’t be the only one who feels this way. So, I have asked a friend Megan to share what she did throughout her pregnancy, and together we came up with a list.
10 tips on Dressing your Baby Bump:
1. Layer with fitting tunics, jackets and sweaters (seasonal of course).
2. Belt it! It emphasize where the belly begins.
3. Wear form fitting tops. Remember, bulky fabric is not good.
4. Wear black. It’s always slimming.
5. Accessorize. Mostly because It will just make you feel like you made an effort.
6. Doing your hair and makeup will always makes you feel like you haven’t given up completely.
7. Avoid tight elastics- this includes bras and underwear ladies- muffin tops are never good.
8. Avoid overly baggy pants. It may be comfortable but it can give the illusion that you are larger than you really are.
9. Avoid tops that are too short in the front. Just trust me on this one.
10. Maxi Skirts! They are comfortable and cute- need I say more?
Do you have any other tips you want to share about how you dress your bump- we would love to know!
Find me at weedstowishes.com