Chocolate-Ginger Freezer Cookies
- 2-3 inch piece of fresh ginger root, peeled and grated
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp finely ground black pepper (or ground ginger if this scares you)
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 12 oz bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
- crystallized ginger to decorate
- Combine cocoa, flours, salt and pepper.
- Beat butter until creamy, 30 seconds.
- Add brown sugar and continue beating until fluffy.
- Beat in egg yolks, vanilla, and ginger until smooth.
- Stir in flour mixture until blended.
- Scrape dough onto a piece of plastic wrap and shape into a 3-inch log.
- Wrap tightly and freeze until hard (up to 2 months).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cut frozen dough into 1/4-inch slices and place on baking sheet.
- Bake until lightly browned, about 15 minutes.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Melt the chocolate and cool to a spreading consistency.
- Spread a little on each cookie and top with crystallized ginger. Makes about 3 dozen.
For more chocolate and ginger recipes, CLICK HERE!
Leave a Reply